[Loops] More Hinode AR loops - Ugarte-Urra et al. 2009, ApJ

Ignacio Ugarte Urra iugarte at ssd5.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Jan 9 11:44:24 MST 2009

Thanks Markus and Hugh for your inputs.

To Markus:
The lightcurves I present are from loops identified at transition region
temperatures. These loops are relatively easy to isolate. Then I track
them up in temperature and the fact that the cool loops result from
cooling of the hot component is easy to spot. It is not as
straightforward to do it the other way around because there is more
contamination in the line-of-sight at higher temperatures. The plot with
the temperature decay is for a particular loop very well isolated from
the rest.

To Hugh:
I am aware that, at least a subset of active regions, have a hot steady
component and I agree with you that both populations seem to contribute
to the active region X-ray emission in general. The literature insists,
however, on the fact that hot loops are steady. Here, I do not discuss
this component. As I said before, I start from the lower temperatures up
and it seems to me that a subset of active regions (perhaps it is
associated with the evolutionary stage) do have a non-negligible hot
impulsive component that is seen cooling down to transition region
temperatures. I don't think either that the peripheral loops reach
several million K.

Cheers,
Ignacio