[Loops] summaries on nanoflare debates in "coronalloopworkshops"

Mitchell Berger solarmhd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 11:31:13 MST 2009

Hugh,
The saturation level of loop tangling determines the average
transverse field strength. Also, I think the loop would presumably
distribute its stored energy more or less evenly along its length.
That means that the transverse field strength at the base of the loop
is affected by the amount of loop tangling. The Poynting flux is
proportional to V B_trans B_z, where V is the fluid velocity, B_z the
vertical field, and B_trans the horizontal component of the field. The
convection zone supplies V and adds some new B_trans, but the boundary
conditions on the existing coronal field give you some B_trans as
well.
Mitch