[Loops] summaries on nanoflare debates in "coronalloopworkshops"

Leon Golub golub at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 6 14:19:03 MST 2009

OK, I have to jump in, since there seems to be some confusion about
this. Yes, the increase in coronal density comes up from the
chromosphere. This has been known for decades and has been well-modeled,
especially by the Palermo group. But it is entirely possible for the
energy to be deposited in the corona, then travel down (relying on the
ambient density) to be deposited and cause evaporation. The pattern of
brightness variations that you see does, in fact, change depending on
where in the loop the energy is deposited, and can be used to determine
where it happened. By seeing how the loop brightens, you can tell where
the energy deposition took place. See:

> 	A Brightening Coronal Loop Observed by TRACE. II. Loop Modeling and Constraints on Heating
> 	Reale, F.; Peres, G.; Serio, S.; Betta, R. M.; DeLuca, E. E.; Golub, L.
> 	Astrophysical Journal, Volume 535, Issue 1, pp. 423-437, 05/2000.

Leon