[Loops] summaries on nanoflare debates in "coronalloopworkshops"

Robert von Fay-Siebenburgen robertus at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Mar 6 15:18:14 MST 2009

hi markus (and others),

it is very interesting for me to read all these debates about coronal
heating, initiated this time by jim's nice paper. there is one point,
however, i'd like to make that most of you do not seem to consider: waves.

i admit that wave heating suffered a bit of a set-back before the
soho/trace era. even the initial wave observations by soho/trace did not
help too much to promote the wave heating scenario(s), as most of the kink
or longitudinal waves reported in loops had just a fraction of energy
density needed for coronal radiation.

however, both hinode and very recent rosa observations have shown the
omnipotent presence of mhd waves (and let's not go into the debate of
alfvenic or kink at the moment as it is irrelevant from the heating
perspectives) that have the necessary poyting flux to heat the lower
atmosphere or corona. so, it is not just reconnection!

in fact, i still have not fully recovered myself from the very convincing
and well-equipped review talk given by david berghmans at the iau gen
assembly @ prague where he just "ruled out" the nanoflare concept.

i basically support the fundamental question markus raised below: "What
we are not sure is where is the primary energy release that leads up to
the chromospheric heating". but his list of options for an answer is far
too incomplete, and i'm not even sure whether it captures the essence if
waves are neglected. if (IF) we want to get closer to loop fine structure
(multi-thread vs whatever) or uncover the operating heating function, a
very promising and currently already availble way is of the one by
magneto-seismology.

robertus