[Loops] loops and thermal nonequilibrium

Hugh Hudson hhudson at ssl.berkeley.edu
Sat Dec 5 16:20:08 MST 2009

Dear Jim

I have some comments. It looks like a nice piece of work, but as usual
the conclusion that only nanoflares can help is hopelessly quixotic.
You set up a strawman competing mechanism (why call it "thermal
nonequilibrium" when the one-syllable alternative "flow" works as
well?) and reject it on the basis of time scales. Who knows about the
time scales of the driver of the flows?

The model itself seems highly questionable. I had cited its
predecessor in trying to explain the "chewy nougat" observation of X-
rays from prominences (http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1999ApJ...513L..
83H) but realized later on that the model has a very artificial low-
temperature boundary and is thus not compelling. It is surprising to
me that a decade later this has not changed, especially since it is
just this boundary region in which the heating may be taking place.

To be perfectly clear about nanoflares: I do not think that there is
any convincing observational evidence that they exist. It is a purely
theoretical construct.

Cheers

Hugh

p.s. at the Hinode meeting just concluded, a nice poster by Helen
Mason made it very clear that EIS spectra emphatically do not agree
with the various XRT suggestions of a high-temperature component in
the loop DEM. The discrepancy is an order of magnitude.