[Loops] loops and thermal nonequilibrium

Klimchuk, James A. (GSFC-6710) james.a.klimchuk at nasa.gov
Mon Dec 7 09:28:11 MST 2009

Hi Leon,

     A couple quick points of clarification....

Spiros and I were comparing models with the same peak temperature.  In that case, shorter heating scale heights (greater footpoint concentration) produce higher densities because the amplitude of the heating must be increased to achieve the same peak temperature.  You and Amy found the same thing.

I need to qualify my statement about the pressure scale height.  The presence of a steady flow requires that the pressure scale height be smaller than the local gravitational scale height (at the local temperature).  A smaller scale height means a larger pressure gradient, and you need a super-hydrostatic pressure gradient to accelerate the plasma in the upflowing leg and decelerate the plasma in the downflowing leg.  Otherwise, it would be in force balance with gravity and the loop would be static.  Things can get complicated when you compare static and steady flow loops because they have different temperature profiles, so the pressure gradient at a given position in the loop can be bigger in one or the other.

Cheers,
Jim