[Loops] Use of DEM

Alan Gabriel alan.gabriel at ias.u-psud.fr
Fri Sep 24 09:46:07 MDT 2010

Scott,

I agree that the real application of DEM has been disappointing (so
far). However, DEM is the one unambiguous function that can be derived
both from models and observations. It is therefore a unique point of
comparison between them; more so that the intensities of a few lines.
DEM could also in principle be defined for non-steady state ionization,
although we have not yet developed the way to treat such observations.
It is probably not applicable for non-thermal distributions.

Alan Gabriel

Alan GABRIEL                               alan.gabriel at ias.u-psud.fr

Institut d'Astrophysique Spatiale            tel : (33) 1 69 85 85 10
Batiment 121, Universite Paris XI            fax : (33) 1 69 85 86 75
91405 ORSAY Cedex                         mobile : (33) 6 72 14 23 89
France