[Loops] new paper(s)

Paola Testa ptesta at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 3 10:05:38 MST 2010

Dear all,

please find below the links to a couple of new papers that may be of
interest to some of you.

The first one is on "Temperature distribution of a non-flaring active
region from simultaneous Hinode XRT and EIS observations", and it has
just been accepted to ApJ. We discuss the complementary diagnostics from
the two instruments, some insights into their cross-calibration, and the
effects of the assumed abundances on the results.

The other paper is a short review on "Element abundances in X-ray
emitting plasmas in stars" that will soon be published on Space Science
Reviews. I know it's a bit off topic, but I thought some of you might be
interested in a brief review of recent studies of abundances in stellar
coronae. Also, in the paper I'm trying to discuss the findings from
solar and stellar abundance studies in a unified context.

Thanks!

cheers,
Paola

==============================

"Temperature distribution of a non-flaring active region from
simultaneous Hinode XRT and EIS observations"
Testa P., Reale F., Landi E., DeLuca, E.E., Kashyap V., ApJ, in press

You can download the paper from http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.0346

Abstract:
We analyze coordinated Hinode XRT and EIS observations of a non-flaring
active region to investigate the thermal properties of coronal plasma
taking advantage of the complementary diagnostics provided by the two
instruments. In particular we want to explore the presence of hot plasma
in non-flaring regions. Independent temperature analyses from the XRT
multi-filter dataset, and the EIS spectra, including the instrument
entire wavelength range, provide a cross-check of the different
temperature diagnostics techniques applicable to broad-band and spectral
data respectively, and insights into cross-calibration of the two
instruments. The emission measure distribution, EM(T), we derive from
the two datasets have similar width and peak temperature, but show a
systematic shift of the absolute values, the EIS EM(T) being smaller
than XRT EM(T) by approximately a factor 2. We explore possible causes
of this discrepancy, and we discuss the influence of the assumptions for
the plasma element abundances. Specifically, we find that the
disagreement between the results from the two instruments is
significantly mitigated by assuming chemical composition closer to the
solar photospheric composition rather than the often adopted "coronal"
composition (Feldman 1992). We find that the data do not provide
conclusive evidence on the high temperature (log T[K] >~ 6.5) tail of
the plasma temperature distribution, however, suggesting its presence to
a level in agreement with recent findings for other non-flaring regions.

---------

"Element abundances in X-ray emitting plasmas in stars"
Testa P., Space Science Reviews, in press

http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.0343

Abstract:
Studies of element abundances in stars are of fundamental interest for
their impact in a wide astrophysical context, from our understanding of
galactic chemistry and its evolution, to their effect on models of
stellar interiors, to the influence of the composition of material in
young stellar environments on the planet formation process. We review
recent results of studies of abundance properties of X-ray emitting
plasmas in stars, ranging from the corona of the Sun and other
solar-like stars, to pre-main sequence low-mass stars, and to early-type
stars. We discuss the status of our understanding of abundance patterns
in stellar X-ray plasmas, and recent advances made possible by accurate
diagnostics now accessible thanks to the high resolution X-ray
spectroscopy with Chandra and XMM-Newton.