[Loops] paper on assessment of atomic data for SDO analyses

Paola Testa ptesta at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 21 09:12:48 MDT 2011

Dear all,

here is a link to another paper, accepted for publication on ApJ, presenting
an analysis of Chandra high-resolution stellar spectra to test the
accuracy and
completeness of the atomic data of CHIANTI 6 for SDO analyses

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2011arXiv1110.4611T

cheers,
Paola

"Testing EUV/X-ray Atomic Data for the Solar Dynamics Observatory"
Paola Testa, Jeremy J. Drake, Enrico Landi

ABSTRACT
The Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA) and the Exteme-ultraviolet
Variability Experiment (EVE) onboard the Solar Dynamics Observatory
include spectral windows in the X-ray/EUV band. Accuracy and
completeness of the atomic data in this wavelength range is essential
for interpretation of the spectrum and irradiance of the solar corona,
and of SDO observations made with the AIA and EVE instruments. Here we
test the X-ray/EUV data in the CHIANTI database to assess their
completeness and accuracy in the SDO bands, with particular focus on the
94A and 131A AIA passbands. Given the paucity of solar observations
adequate for this purpose, we use high-resolution X-ray spectra of the
low-activity solar-like corona of Procyon obtained with the Chandra Low
Energy Transmission Grating Spectrometer (LETGS). We find that while
spectral models overall can reproduce quite well the observed spectra in
the soft X-ray range <~ 50A, and at the EUV wavelengths >~ 130A, they
significantly underestimate the observed
flux in the 50-130A wavelength range. The model underestimates the
observed flux by a variable factor ranging from ~1.5, at short
wavelengths below ~50A, up to ~5-7 in the ~70−125A range. In the AIA
bands covered by LETGS, i.e. 94A and 131A , we find that the observed
flux can be underestimated by large factors (~3 and ~1.9 respectively,
for the case of Procyon presented here). We discuss the consequences for
analysis of AIA data and possible empirical corrections to the AIA
passbands.