[Loops] [1112.2857] Monte Carlo Markov Chain DEM reconstruction of isothermal plasmas

Fabio Reale reale at astropa.unipa.it
Wed Dec 14 03:10:39 MST 2011

Dear colleagues
      please find at the following link the preprint of a work accepted
for publication in Astronomy & Astrophysics, showing tests on the
capability of MCMC method to reconstruct isothermal DEMs:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1112.2857

The abstract is below.

Best regards
Fabio Reale

Monte Carlo Markov Chain DEM reconstruction of isothermal plasmas

E. Landi, F. Reale, P. Testa

In this paper, we carry out tests on the Monte Carlo Markov Chain (MCMC)
technique with the aim of determining: 1) its ability to retrieve
isothermal plasmas from a set of spectral line intensities, with and
without random noise; 2) to what extent can it discriminate between an
isothermal solution and a narrow multithermal distribution; and 3) how
well it can detect multiple isothermal components along the line of
sight. We also test the effects of 4) atomic data uncertainties on the
results, and 5) the number of ions whose lines are available for the DEM
reconstruction. We find that the MCMC technique is unable to retrieve
isothermal plasmas to better than Delta log T = 0.05. Also, the DEM
curves obtained using lines calculated with an isothermal plasma and
with a Gaussian distribution with FWHM of log T = 0.05 are very similar.
Two near-isothermal components can be resolved if their temperature
separation is Delta log T = 0.2 or larger. Thus, DEM diagnostics has an
intrinsic resolving power of log T = 0.05. Atomic data uncertainties may
significantly affect both temperature and peak DEM values, but do not
alter our conclusions. The availability of small sets of lines also does
not worsen the performance of the MCMC technique, provided these lines
are formed in a wide temperature range. Our analysis shows the present
limitations in our ability to identify the presence of strictly
isothermal plasmas in stellar and solar coronal spectra.