[Loops] new paper on AIA/EIS diagnostics of hot plasma

Paola Testa ptesta at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 18 04:37:02 MDT 2012

Dear all,

here is the arxiv link to a new paper that has just been published on
ApJ Letters
http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.0041
The paper addresses diagnostics of hot plasma using AIA data and
validating the method with simultaneous EIS spectroscopic data. Please
find the title and abstract below.

cheers,
Paola

"Hinode/EIS spectroscopic validation of very hot plasma imaged
with Solar Dynamics Observatory in non-flaring active region cores"

Testa P. & Reale F.

Abstract:
We use coronal imaging observations with SDO/AIA, and Hinode/EIS spectral
data, to explore the potential of narrow band EUV imaging data for
diagnosing
the presence of hot (T >~ 5 MK) coronal plasma in active regions. We
analyze observations of two active regions (AR 11281, AR 11289) with
simultaneous
AIA imaging, and EIS spectral data, including the Ca xvii line (at 192.8A)
which is one of the few lines in the EIS spectral bands sensitive to hot
coronal
plasma even outside flares. After careful coalignment of the imaging and
spectral
data, we compare the morphology in a 3 color image combining the 171,
335, and
94A AIA spectral bands, with the image obtained for Ca xvii emission
from the
analysis of EIS spectra. We find that in the selected active regions the
Ca xvii
emission is strong only in very limited areas, showing striking
similarities with
the features bright in the 94A (and 335A) AIA channels and weak in the 171A
band. We conclude that AIA imaging observations of the solar corona can be
used to track hot plasma (6-8 MK), and so to study its spatial
variability and
temporal evolution at high spatial and temporal resolution.