[Loops] New paper on 'Spectroscopic Observations of a Coronal Loop'

Girjesh Gupta girjesh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 04:37:38 MST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

We have just published a new paper using EIS/Hinode data titled
'Spectroscopic Observations of a Coronal Loop: Basic Physical Plasma
Parameters Along the Full Loop Length', Gupta, G. R.; Tripathi, Durgesh;
Mason, Helen, 2015, ApJ, *800* 140 (arXiv:1412.7428)

Article can be found here:
http://iopscience.iop.org/0004-637X/800/2/140/article

Abstract: Coronal loops are the basic structures of the solar transition
region and corona. Understanding of the physical mechanisms behind the loop
heating, plasma flows, and filling are still considered a major challenge
in solar physics. The mechanism(s) should be able to supply mass to the
corona from the chromosphere and to heat the plasma over 1 MK within a
small distance of a few hundred kilometers from the chromosphere to the
corona. This problem makes coronal loops an interesting target for detailed
study. In this study, we focus on spectroscopic observations of a coronal
loop observed in its full length in various spectral lines as recorded by
the Extreme-ultraviolet Imaging Spectrometer on board Hinode. We derive
physical plasma parameters such as electron density, temperature, pressure,
column depth, and filling factors along the loop length from one footpoint
to the another. The obtained parameters are used to infer whether the
observed coronal loop is overdense or underdense with respect to
gravitational stratification of the solar atmosphere. These new
measurements of physical plasma parameters, from one footpoint to another,
provide important constraints on the modeling of the mass and energy
balance in coronal loops.

With Regards,
Girjesh R. Gupta

*Girjesh R. Gupta*
DST-INSPIRE Faculty Fellow
Inter-University Centre for Astronomy & Astrophysics (IUCAA)
Ganeshkhind, Pune University Campus
Pune 411007 India

*Tel.* : +91 20 2560 4208
*Fax *: +91 20 2560 4699