[Loops] new spectroscopic analysis tool

Charles C. Kankelborg kankel at solar.physics.montana.edu
Mon Jun 29 10:39:16 MDT 2015

Hi Jim,

This is a needed improvement. This kind of interpolation has been available for some time, but I have not see in applied to spectra (where it is probably most needed, for all the reasons you point out). Sakurai and Shin derived analytically, in closed form, a spline interpolation with rigorous photon conservation:

Takashi Sakurai and Junho Shin, 2001
"Interpolation of One- and Two-Dimensional Images with Pixelwise Photon Number Conservation "
http://pasj.oxfordjournals.org/content/53/2/361.full

With our usual detectors (rear-illuminated CCDs) there can be significant charge spreading in the field free region, so the pixels are well defined (in effect, they are fuzzy and overlapping). A proper flux-conserving interpolation scheme should take that into account. To my knowledge, that has not been done.

Best regards,
Charles