[Loops] New paper on reconnection statistics in a driven coronal loop

Kalman Knizhnik, Contractor, Code 7680 kalman.knizhnik.ctr at nrl.navy.mil
Wed Jan 24 08:05:06 MST 2018

Dear all,

Our paper entitled "Power-law Statistics of Driven Reconnection in the Magnetically Closed Corona" was just published in ApJ at http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/aaa0d9

It may be of interest to those studying loop models, reconnection in Parker coronae, as well as to modelers of self-organized criticality.

Abstract:

Numerous observations have revealed that power-law distributions are ubiquitous in energetic solar processes. Hard X-rays, soft X-rays, extreme ultraviolet radiation, and radio waves all display power-law frequency distributions. Since magnetic reconnection is the driving mechanism for many energetic solar phenomena, it is likely that reconnection events themselves display such power-law distributions. In this work, we perform numerical simulations of the solar corona driven by simple convective motions at the photospheric level. Using temperature changes, current distributions, and Poynting fluxes as proxies for heating, we demonstrate that energetic events occurring in our simulation display power-law frequency distributions, with slopes in good agreement with observations. We suggest that the braiding-associated reconnection in the corona can be understood in terms of a self-organized criticality model driven by convective rotational motions similar to those observed at the photosphere.

Best,

Kalman Knizhnik

----------------------
Kalman J. Knizhnik
NRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Office: (202) 404-1377
Cell: (301) 233-6422
kalman.knizhnik.ctr at nrl.navy.mil
Naval Research Laboratory
Heliophysics Theory and Modeling Section, Code 7683
4555 Overlook Ave., S.W.
Building 209, Room 224
Washington, DC 20375-5337