[Loops] [1802.05093] X-ray flare oscillations track plasma sloshing along star-disk magnetic tubes in Orion star-forming region

Frédéric Auchère frederic.auchere at ias.u-psud.fr
Fri Feb 23 04:15:41 MST 2018

Dear Fabio,

I've read your paper with great interest. These are very interesting
results.

I would however draw your attention to the fact that used as-is, the
Torrence & Compo wavelet code can potentially output erroneous
confidence levels, especially if used on detrended time-series. There
are three reasons for this:

1) UV or EUV light curves tend to exhibit an overall power-law behavior.
I don't know if this is indeed the case for your light curves but if it
is , then the built-in AR(1) red noise model (the one you're using if
I'm not mistaken) is generally not a good fit to the spectrum (except in
the special case  in which the power law exponent is -2).

2) Detrending of the time-series that initially has a power-law power
spectrum artificially creates a resulting signal that has dominant power
in a narrow band of frequencies. In that case the AR(1) red noise model
is likely not a good fit.

3) The wavelet confidence levels output by the code are "local"
confidence levels, i.e. they don't take into account the total number of
degrees of freedom in the spectrum.

The details of these effects are described in this paper

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016ApJ...825..110A

I'm not implying that the conclusions that you draw are incorrect, only
that the Torrence & Compo code generally cannot be used as-is to
robustly detect periodic signals. It was actually not intended to be an
all-purpose solution by its authors. The annex of the above paper
(corrected in the erratum) gives practical details on how to call the
Torrence & Compo routine to use  any custom background noise model, and
"global" confidence levels (taking into account the total number of
degrees of freedom in the spectra). A demonstration code is available at:

https://idoc.ias.u-psud.fr/MEDOC/wavelets_tc98

I hope that  you find these remarks useful for future work.

All the best,

Frédéric