[Loops] new loop paper of your interest

Tongjiang Wang wangtj at mithra.physics.montana.edu
Thu Jun 21 14:00:17 MDT 2018

Hi Everyone

I have a new paper just published which may be of your interest:

Effect of Transport Coefficients on Excitation of Flare-induced Standing
Slow-mode Waves in Coronal Loops

https://doi.org/10.3847/1538-4357/aac38a

Abstract
Standing slow-mode waves have been recently observed in flaring loops by
the Atmospheric Imaging Assembly of the Solar Dynamics Observatory. By
means of the coronal seismology technique, transport coefficients in hot
(~10 MK) plasma were determined by Wang et al., revealing that thermal
conductivity is nearly suppressed and compressive viscosity is enhanced by
more than an order of magnitude. In this study, we use 1D nonlinear MHD
simulations to validate the predicted results from the linear theory and
investigate the standing slow-mode wave excitation mechanism. We first
explore the wave trigger based on the magnetic field extrapolation and
flare emission features. Using a flow pulse driven at one footpoint, we
simulate the wave excitation in two types of loop models: Model 1 with the
classical transport coefficients and Model 2 with the
seismology-determined transport coefficients. We find that Model 2 can
form the standing wave pattern (within about one period) from initial
propagating disturbances much faster than Model 1, in better agreement
with the observations. Simulations of the harmonic waves and the Fourier
decomposition analysis show that the scaling law between damping time (Td)
and wave period (P) follows Td ~ P^2 in Model 2, while Td ~ P in Model 1.
This indicates that the largely enhanced viscosity efficiently increases
the dissipation of higher harmonic components, favoring the quick
formation of the fundamental standing mode. Our study suggests that
observational constraints on the transport coefficients are important in
understanding both the wave excitation and damping mechanisms.

Thank you

Best Regards

Tongjiang

Tongjiang Wang