[Loops] New paper on the Impulsive heating of Quiet Solar Corona

Vishal Upendran uvishal1995 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 00:16:56 MDT 2021

Dear all,

Hope this mail finds you all in good health and spirits. I am Vishal
Upendran, graduate student working with Prof. Durgesh Tripathi at IUCAA,
Pune, India on coronal heating and solar wind emergence.

Our work on the impulsive heating of Quiet Corona was recently accepted for
publication in ApJ. Essentially, we study pixel-wise light curves of Quiet
Sun regions in the 171 Å, 193 Å and 211 Å from AIA by combining the
empirical, statistical impulsive heating forward model of Pauluhn & Solanki
(2007) with a machine-learning inversion model that allows uncertainty
quantification.

On performing inversions across approx. 300,000 light curves, we find that
there are approximately 2--3 impulsive events per min, with a lifetime of
about 10--20 min. The power law slope distribution peaks above 2 for all
passbands. We then explore correlations among the frequency of impulsive
events, their timescales and peak energy. The correlations suggest that
conduction losses dominate over radiative cooling losses, and there might
be a reservoir of energy either depleted by frequent, small events or
infrequent, large events.

I am excited to obtain feedback from the community on this work, and hope
it would be an enjoyable read to you.

The arxiv link: https://arxiv.org/abs/2103.16824.

Best regards,

Vishal

--
Vishal Upendran,
Senior Research Fellow, Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and