[Loops] Modeling of randomized heating events in coronal loops

Kucera, Therese A. (GSFC-6710) therese.a.kucera at nasa.gov
Thu Feb 22 15:34:28 MST 2024

Hi all,
Just wanted to tell people about the following paper that has been accepted by ApJ and is on arXiv

Modeling of Condensations in Coronal Loops Produced by Impulsive Heating
T.A. Kucera , J. Klimchuk (671), M. Luna (U. Illes Balears)
https://arxiv.org/abs/2402.06799

We  presents 1D hydrodynamic model results  looking into how coronal loops produce cool condensations (i.e., coronal rain) in response to localized impulsive heating events that are randomized in time, intensity and location. We find that in order to produce cool condensations with randomized heating it is even more important than with non-randomized heating that the heating be near the loop foot points and at high average frequencies, and that the condensations tend to fall out of the loop more quickly. That said, condensations can sometimes occur in cases where the average values of frequency or height in the loop are beyond the critical limits above which condensations do not occur for corresponding steady, non-randomized values of those parameters.

Cheers,
Terry

Therese Kucera
NASA/GSFC, Code 671