[Loops] summaries on nanoflare debates in "coronal loop workshops"

Klimchuk, James A. (GSFC-6710) james.a.klimchuk at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 5 14:11:50 MST 2009

Some quick comments....

1.  I agree with Markus and Marco that there is, in principle, no
problem having impulsive heating (nanoflares) in the low atmosphere
(chromosphere and transition region) of unipolar regions, as long as the
field is "tangled."  The resolvable events that Harry mentions are
interesting and important, but different from ordinary coronal heating.

2.  However, the transition region is an extremely thin layer that moves
up and down flux tubes in response to changes in the coronal pressure
resulting from heating and cooling.  It is very difficult for me to see
why the magnetic energy dissipation that gives rise to heating should
always follow this layer.  Dissipation in the thicker chromosphere is
much easier to swallow.

3.  The ten arguments that Markus gives in his paper are consistent with
heating in the transition region, but they are also consistent with
heating in the corona!  Thus, they do not disprove coronal nanoflares.
Perhaps we can discuss this in Florence.  (Markus:  I remember we went
over some of this during a wonderful lunch with retsina on a patio in
Santorini!  How about if we cover the rest with chianti?).

Cheers,

Jim