[Loops] summaries on nanoflare debates in "coronalloopworkshops"

Klimchuk, James A. (GSFC-6710) james.a.klimchuk at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 6 12:11:59 MST 2009

Markus, you are definitely right that all coronal material originates in
the chromosphere.  If the energy release (heating) occurs in the corona,
a downward thermal conduction flux (and possibly also a downward flux of
nonthermal particles) causes material to evaporate into the corona.
That is the traditional view.  What other people (including you?) are
proposing is that the energy release occurs directly in the chromosphere
or transition region, and this process both heats the cool plasma and
injects it upward.

Jim