[Loops] FW: summaries on nanoflare debates in "coronalloopworkshops"

David Berghmans david.berghmans at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 13:59:53 MDT 2009

Hi Jim, Robertus and others,

I left the nanoflare business some time ago. I will thus reply more at
the philosophical level rather than on the technical details.

The one thing that I remember from my own work is that nanoflare
heating is an absolutely hopeless business. It is based on the
assumption that we can extrapolate (!) the slope of the distribution
over many order of magnitude (!) into unobserved territory (!). It
only works if you take as extrapolating slope the few outlier studies
(!) that find a slope steep enough. And you must believe (!) that
sufficiently small events can actually really exist.

There was a time when I was ready to take all these hurdles. What
really killed my faith however is the realization that, when analyzing
data and identifying members of the flare distribution, one needs to
identify flares one by one. At small scales (where most events are)
you essentially see a bunch of brightening pixels and one needs to
group these pixels in events. The 'grouping criterium' can be strict
('touching' pixels belong to the same event) or somewhat more relaxed
('close-by' pixels can belong to the same event). In the first case
you get many small events, in the last case you get fewer & bigger
events.  Comparing the two cases, will give you widely different slopes.

My conclusion: determining the slope for gradually smaller flares is
gradually more subjective. We are not proving anything by measuring &
extrapolating slopes of small event distributions.

I do not mean to say that nanoflares (whatever small energy releases
at unobserved scales) are not interesting or not relevant for coronal
heating. At the contrary, I am personally looking forward to see their
appearance in the so-called hot channel of the high-res EUV imager
foreseen on Solar Orbiter! I am just saying that extrapolating ill-
defined power laws is, in my humble opinion, not proving anything.

David