[Loops] FW: summaries on nanoflare debates in "coronalloopworkshops"

Arnold Benz benz at astro.phys.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 12 14:51:34 MDT 2009

Dear David,

Welcome back! Indeed you did leave the nanoflare business some time ago,
when we realized that we will never agree on power-law exponents because
as you described there is a subjective element in the definition of a
nanoflare. I fully agree with you, David, that power-law indices are
useless and that we must not extrapolate them.
However, power-laws are not the only way to evaluate nanoflares.  In the
mean time we have tried to estimate the energy input by the observed
events. For this estimate, the distribution is not needed, just sum over
all events and pixels. The observed energy in the soft X-rays and EUV
events at peak flux is about 12% of the radiated output in the quiet sun
(Benz & Krucker 2002). This includes only observed events above 5 10^24
erg. What we measure, however, is the thermal energy at one instant of
the event. This thermal energy is not the flare energy, but the result
of precipitating particles heating the chromosphere. The particle
acceleration is not the flare either, but arguably the result of waves
that have been excited by the reconnection process (e.g. transit-time
damping). Thus the real difficulty is to estimate the total energy input
into the corona from the observed nanoflares.

Regards,
Arnold

Arnold Benz
Institute of Astronomy              email benz at astro.phys.ethz.ch
ETH Zurich,  HIT J 23.1              voice ++41-44-632 42 23
CH-8093 Zurich                           fax ++41-44-862 68 25
Switzerland    web http://www.astro.phys.ethz.ch/staff/benz/benz.html