[Loops] loops and thermal nonequilibrium

Hugh Hudson hhudson at ssl.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 7 11:55:23 MST 2009

Another geometrical point is that the line-of-sight column density
increases at loop top if you look at it out-of-plane at all. And then
another geometrical effect is that if it is not a planar loop, then
that twist can augment the line-of-sight effect. The twist,
incidentally, can be present even in a potential field. The "loop top"
and "above-the-loop-top" brightenings observed by SXT need to have
these considerations.

Hugh