[Loops] loops and thermal nonequilibrium

Gordon Petrie petrie at email.noao.edu
Mon Dec 7 12:06:09 MST 2009

Dear Piet,

If I understand the steady isothermal theory correctly,
the scale height can become unbounded wherever the flow
approaches the sonic point, v -> c_s, because of a
v^2-c_s^2 factor.  Beyond a (generally different) critical
point, v=sqrt(g_s Z_0) where g_s is the solar surface
gravitational acceleration and Z_0 a length scale of the
flux tube spatial expansion, mass conservation demands
that the density invert.

Best regards,

Gordon