[Loops] EIS DEM for September 24-29 2010

Klimchuk, James A. (GSFC-6710) james.a.klimchuk at nasa.gov
Fri Jan 8 12:47:52 MST 2010

Hi all.  I have a quick comment about DEMs because I worry that some of the earlier e-mails may have left a wrong impression.  I've taken a look at Helen's DEM curves, and they are very much consistent with nanoflare heating.  The DEM at logT = 6.7 is what many of the models predict.  This does not prove nanoflare heating, but rather leaves it open as a possibility.  Helen's much reduced DEM at logT = 7.1 suggests that the nanoflares cannot be exceptionally strong.  I would caution, however, that ionization nonequilibrium effects are expected to be very important in the early stages of an event, and the true DEM may be much larger than what the observations suggest (as demonstrated by Steve and Fabio).  I also want to give credit to Brendan O'Dwyer, Helen's student who is the lead author on the paper with these results.

Happy, healthy, and productive 2010 to all!
Jim