[Loops] type II spicule paper

Petrus Martens martens at physics.montana.edu
Tue Jul 31 10:57:45 MDT 2012

On 7/31/12 10:42 AM, Charles C. Kankelborg wrote:
> So, Anderson concluded that the velocity filtration model needed to be
> redone with Coulomb collisions included. Dorelly and Scudder came back
> in 2003 with a paper concluding that "the electron heat flux is
> determined by the essentially collisionless high-energy tail" of the
> distribution:
>
> http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2003JGRA..108.1294D
>
> Does that mean the coulomb collisions don't really affect prediction of
> energy transport? I haven't followed the trail of citations any farther...

Ah, now I remember!  The mean-free-path for high energy electrons is of
the order of the loop length (has to be be;  if it is longer there is
no coronal heating, if it is much shorter likewise).  So chromospheric
electrons in some energy range will contribute to coronal heating.  Now
the question is whether there will be enough of them.

Cheers,

Piet