[Loops] type II spicule paper

Serge KOUTCHMY koutchmy at iap.fr
Thu Aug 9 12:53:31 MDT 2012

Dear Jim,

I did not think that somebody seriously believes that the vast amount of
rather cool spicular plasma launched towards the corona provides the
material of the corona. There are 2 to 3 orders of magnitude too much of
mass. Most of the material comes back under the action of the gravity.
Some part goes to the sheath of spicules but this is not clear. However,
in case of a tall spicule like the top of macro-spicules or giant
spicules above polar regions (called before at total eclipses a spike
and now called an EUV event in He+ and CIV), a SXR jetlet can often be
observed in hot coronal lines, with large upwards velocities. Small
redshifts are also observed around, at TR temperature. There is little
doubt that they are guided and confined by the coronal magnetic field,
extracting some free energy during the explosive phase, such that they
participate in both the mass supply and the heating of the corona. I
thought a general consensus exists about that, is not?

Your paper is a brilliant 1D demonstration concerning the chromospheric
spicules. What about considering a filling factor? For cool spicules it
is of small values and at TR temperatures, it is of very low values. At
coronal temperature, it could be zero?

Best,

S.