[Loops] new paper on IRIS diagnostics for coronal heating and accelerated particles

Philip Judge judge at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 30 22:54:18 MDT 2014

If the sun releases 10^25 erg in 30s in the chromosphere,  as needed by
these data, cannot this be just local magnetic heating?  A "chromospheric
flare"?

Consider magnetic energy density

E= B^2/ 8pi.

In plage let B be say 300G, then E=3e3.  Then for total energy of 10^25 erg
we need  3e21 cm3 and d^3=V gives length  d of 10^7 cm, or 0.1 Mm.  If I
use rho= 1e-10 g for mid chromosphere, then the alfven speed v_a is 80 kms
and d/v_a is 1.2 sec. Fast.

So I am really puzzled why you appeal to beams at all.  There is certainly
nothing in the iris data that I can see could ever be used to give direct
evidence for e- beams...  all I can glean from these data is that there is
a sudden release of energy under the place where Si IV is formed.

So I am very puzzled...

Philip Judge, Scientist, HAO, NCAR
3037759863