[Loops] preprint: Magnetic energies measured with IRIS and AIA/contradiction?

Hugh Hudson hhudson at ssl.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 14 06:53:30 MDT 2015

That’s how it appears to me too. I’d add that the localization of the free energy is a difficult subject, and it may be misleading just to identify it with the B^2/8pi excess. This is because the realization of the free energy, i.e. its actual definition, depends on the nature of the instability that releases it. Understanding this requires understanding the boundary conditions, so it must be a higher-order theoretical matter.

Hugh