[Loops] preprint: Magnetic energies measured with IRIS and AIA/contradiction?

Markus J. Aschwanden aschwand at lmsal.com
Tue Apr 14 08:26:39 MDT 2015

Dear Serge and Hugh,

Thanks for your feedback. You are correct that it appears that there is
more free energy available during the flare duration than before or after.
However, a similar behavior appears in all flares, as you can see in the
analysis of the free energy in some 200 flares analyzed from HMI and AIA
(see Aschwanden, Xu, and Jing 2014, ApJ 797:50). This apparently
counter-intuitive behavior has been interpreted as a “coronal illumination
effect” (see Fig.3 in the quoted paper above). In short, most of the highly
twisted helical flare loops that carry non-potential magnetic energy are
invisible or undetectable before the start of the flare, but become visible
once they become filled up with heated plasma by the chromospheric
evaporation process that usually occurs in flares. So, it is not a contra-
diction, but just an observational problem. It is similar to the missing
mass problem in the universe: We detect only 4% luminous mass, but
when you add up all the dark matter and neutrinos you get to a much
more massive universe that may even be closed/ And nobody calls
the missing mass problem as contradictory, it’s just an observational
problem.

Regarding Hugh’s comment, the NLFFF model that has been used
to calculate the free energy is based on an analytical solution of the
force-free field in terms of vertical currents that introduce a helical
twist (Aschwanden 2013, Solar Phys. 287, 323). It is only an
approximation, but it should give the first-order non-potential field
pretty accurately. There is some consistency with standard NLFFF
models, or at least some correlation (e.g., Wiegelmann code).
The boundary conditions have been discussed in great detail in a
NLFFF comparison paper (DeRosa et al. 2009). The biggest problem
with standard NLFFF codes is that they extrapolate from a not
force-free boundary. In contrast, the analytical  NLFFF model that
fits the geometry of coronal loops circumvents this problem and
thus yields complementary information. If you wish I can give your
more references on this “high-order theoretical matter”.

Thanks for the comments,
Best regards,

Markus

Dr. Markus J. Aschwanden
Solar & Astrophysics Laboratory
Lockheed Martin Advanced Techology Center
A021S, Bldg. 252
3251 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Phone: 650-424-4001, FAX: 650-424-3994
e-mail: aschwanden at lmsal.com