[Loops] thermal nonequilibrium and thermal instability

Hugh Hudson Hugh.Hudson at glasgow.ac.uk
Wed Nov 27 07:19:12 MST 2019

Jim, thanks, very clear and helpful as we eager readers of your papers have come to expect. Just a couple of quibbles:

Quibble No. 1. “Coronal rain” has traditionally been a phenomenon associated with “loop prominence systems”, “sporadic coronal condensations”, and many another term, but basically “flares”. I’ll read Patrick’s paper on the synchronization of raining strands next, but this synchronization might be less coincidental in a flare situation.

Quibble No.2. It seems to be customary in this community to use the terms “heating” and “cooling” to be volumetric. You don’t define your terms in this nice paper until Eq. 1, but that’s in the Appendix. I think the physics would be clearer if people made “heating” synonyous with “time rate of change of temperature”, and “cooling” the same way. This is not only more correct terminology, but also closer to the observable (T).

Hugh