[Loops] thermal nonequilibrium and thermal instability

Klimchuk, James A. (GSFC-6710) james.a.klimchuk at nasa.gov
Wed Nov 27 09:00:16 MST 2019

Thanks, Hugh!

I'll reply to the entire listserve, as I believe you intended this for community discussion.

Although coronal rain was first discussed in the context of flares, the term has been co-opted by the broader community to include cold condensations forming anywhere in the corona. I would add that flare coronal rain is NOT caused by thermal nonequilbrium. TNE applies when the heating is (quasi)steady, which of course is not the case in flares. Flare coronal rain is more like a proper instability. After the evaporation phase, the densities in a flare loop are much higher than equilibrium values (as given by scaling laws, for example). A large enough density perturbation can lead to localized runaway cooling that proceeds faster than the usual flare draining.

I, too, have struggled with the term "heating." Sometimes we take it to mean increasing temperature, and sometimes we take it to mean the addition of energy (which does not change the temperature if it is balanced by an equal amount of cooling, i.e., removal of energy). I think it would be difficult to stop using "heating" and "cooling" for energy addition and removal processes (radiation, thermal conduction, etc.). Perhaps others have a different opinion.

Thanks again,
Jim