[Loops] EIS AR Loops - Tripathi et al, 2009, ApJ

Markus J. Aschwanden aschwanden at lmsal.com
Tue Jan 6 14:43:13 MST 2009

Helen et al,

Congratulations to the new dazzling Hinode paper!

On the same note, from the statistics of some 18,000 loop widths
measurements in the 3 TRACE filters we found a slight dependence
that loops become wider (or fuzzier) with temperatures, i.e.,

	w(T) ~ T^(1.3+/-0.7)

(see Aschwanden, Nightingale, & Boerner 2007, ApJ 656, 577).
So loops at T=2 MK are about a factor of 3 fatter than at T=1 MK.
The inferred coronal filling factors vary also slightly with
temperature,
from q~0.74 at T=1 MK to q~0.32 at T=2 MK, which goes along the
lines Leon suggests.

Cheers,
Markus

On Jan 6, 2009, at 1:08 PM, reale at astropa.unipa.it wrote:

> I agree with Leon, but I also think that the paper only certifies
> that the
> loops look fuzzier in hotter lines. There may be no real contradiction
> with Leon's perspective. Of course, we all sustain Leon's new imager.
> Ciao
> Fabio
>
>> Helen et al.,
>>
>> I can't let this go uncommented. Even though this paper was
>> accepted (I know, I was the editor) I disagree with the conclusion
>> that hot loops are fuzzier. Yes, that's what you see, but it is
>> also explainable if the hot parts of the AR have many fine threads
>> (unresolved at present resolution) with a large filling factor.
>> That as the conclusion Joan and I came to from analyzing 284A
>> data.
>>
>> Anyway, this won't be settled until we fly an imager with higher
>> resolution. We're proposing one this year and I'm hoping we get
>> the chance to clear this up, finally.
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Leon

Dr. Markus J. Aschwanden
Solar & Astrophysics Laboratory
Lockheed Martin Advanced Techology Center
Org. ADBS, Bldg. 252
3251 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Phone: 650-424-4001, FAX: 650-424-3994
e-mail: aschwanden at lmsal.com